UK tax considerations for overseas investors
- You may be taxed on your UK income from your income generated from your property
- You need to pay tax on your rental income if you rent out a property in the UK.
- You may also need to pay tax if you make a gain when you sell residential property in the UK.
- If you live abroad for 6 months or more per year, you’re classed as a ‘non-resident landlord’ by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - even if you’re a UK resident for tax purposes.
- You can get your rent either in full and pay tax through Self Assessment - if HMRC allows you to do this or with tax already deducted by your letting agent or tenant
- For more information, you may refer to www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/rent