UK tax considerations for overseas investors

  • You may be taxed on your UK income from your income generated from your property
  • You need to pay tax on your rental income if you rent out a property in the UK.
  • You may also need to pay tax if you make a gain when you sell residential property in the UK.
  • If you live abroad for 6 months or more per year, you’re classed as a ‘non-resident landlord’ by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - even if you’re a UK resident for tax purposes.
  • You can get your rent either in full and pay tax through Self Assessment - if HMRC allows you to do this or with tax already deducted by your letting agent or tenant
  • For more information, you may refer to